2013 EV - Battery Loses Power when AC Turned On

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydromel

I have a 2013 Focus EV.
A couple months back we had the 12V battery issue and had it replaced.
Starting last week, however, I can hop in the car and it has a full charge (70-80miles).
Start the car up and leave the house. As soon as the AC or Heat is turned on, though, the charge drops to 40 miles.
Took it the Ford dealership last week and they couldn't figure it out. I have to take it back in today and they are going to give Ford a call for help in the diagnosis.

Figured I would ask if anyone here has had a similar issue?

Thx

Yes that is the guess-o-meter: A/C or heat (mostly heat) will immediately reduce the range shown on it.

https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/the-guess-o-meter/

There is nothing wrong with your car.

Eh, maybe Ford will find something, a 40 mile drop in est. range sounds excessive for A/C usage to me... but who knows. I usually see -10 on the status (it's usually -15ish with the heater or -28ish with defrost (heat & A/C))
Then again your normal usage around town might be really efficient (and the battery's depleted a bit due to age/use?)

Agreed. Cutting your range in half is wrong. The A/C doesn't use as much energy as the motor.

There is a time when the A/C could use as much as the heater. If the outside temperature and the set inside temp are close - the thing runs the heater and the A/C to regulate the temperature. There's nothing you can do to stop the heater from running - other than change the temp setting.

Back