Attitudes of owners of various EVs per their forums

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

I've been doing a lot of reading on several of the other EV forums, and it's interesting to see the kind of attitudes the posters (in most case owners) seem to have toward their cars.

In general, most posters are very positive toward their cars...this makes sense, everyone wants to feel they made a smart decision, but...

Tesla owners really, really love their cars, think they are the best ever

Volt owners are very happy and enthusiastic. But they are constantly discussion how little gasoline they have used, making me wonder why they needed an extended range (vs BEV) car in the first place

Honda EV owners...well there are hardly any...they are all hoping to somehow make it to the top of the waiting list.

Leaf owners are obsessed by battery condition.

Looking at our posts, I'd place us generally in the more satisfied zone. Some complaints but mostly enthusiastic....especially now that the SSN problem seems to have been addressed

michael said:
...Honda EV owners...well there are hardly any...they are all hoping to somehow make it to the top of the waiting list.

Leaf owners are obsessed by battery condition...

Honda Fit EV waitlister here (since May 31, 2013). I concur with these findings.
Guess that's why I've started looking into the FFE. :D

Join us. You will be driving gas-free right away. The Honda deal is really attractive, but the money you start saving right away will make up for it.

[sharing opinion]
The Fit has good performance, maybe a little better than the Focus. But the reasons I bought a Focus
1) Looks. Not a bad looking car in my opinion; and it doesn't have an odd look to it. Fit would pass the "no odd look", but to me, it isn't that attractive.
2) Full Electric. No hybrid gas engine that needs maintenance, smog checks, and gas. PHEVs also have a small battery and even more limited full electric range. Fit is in check with this requirement.
3) It could be purchased. I think the FIT is only leased.
4) The focus had thermal control. Not sure about Fit.

The Fit probably has better 2nd row room which would be a plus.
But the main reason I didn't buy a Fit was that I had not heard of it and it wasn't available :)

If you like the Fit, I'm not sure you should compromise, but most of us here really like our FFE!
[/sharing opinion]

davideos said:
[sharing opinion]
The Fit has good performance, maybe a little better than the Focus. But the reasons I bought a Focus
1) Looks. Not a bad looking car in my opinion; and it doesn't have an odd look to it. Fit would pass the "no odd look", but to me, it isn't that attractive.
2) Full Electric. No hybrid gas engine that needs maintenance, smog checks, and gas. PHEVs also have a small battery and even more limited full electric range. Fit is in check with this requirement.
3) It could be purchased. I think the FIT is only leased.
4) The focus had thermal control. Not sure about Fit.

The Fit probably has better 2nd row room which would be a plus.
But the main reason I didn't buy a Fit was that I had not heard of it and it wasn't available :)

If you like the Fit, I'm not sure you should compromise, but most of us here really like our FFE!
[/sharing opinion]
I think I'm probably going to ramble way off topic. Sorry, OP!

The Fit looks good to me, though I've only even seen two in person. Maybe it's a bit low-tech on the instruments, but I still respect it for being versatile (even if it lost it's Magic Seats®).
Even the Leaf looks good to me, but that's probably because I want to feel I understand why it's shaped like a frog. It's the things like "the headlights are huge to deflect air from the mirrors and keep it quiet!" and "LED headlights are awesome!" I'm all about the little things, and appreciate the thought.
Generally I really don't care for Nissans, but I can respect the Leaf. My employer also qualifies for Nissan's VPP discount ($1,000 below Invoice) for the Leaf, so it's attractiveness came quickly.

My commute is only about 6 miles round trip, but we'll often go 10-30 miles in errands. So, full electric would be great for that. On most days, when just going around town, I really don't like having to run an ICE. Mechanically, it has to use more fuel to warm up, and holds on to the condensation it creates in the oil, muffler, and elsewhere until I can find time to get out of town and burn that off. Being able to scoot around without building up carbon deposits and junk would make me feel better. Maybe that's an abnormal thing to be preoccupied about. Maybe (perspective) EV owners aren't "normal" anyway. :p

Right, the Fit EV can only be leased. This isn't a concern, as I wouldn't want to buy right now, personally. I've been reading about the FFE's heated/cooled battery, and that's pretty rad. I've done a lot of reading, and I understand many Leaf owners, and perspective owners, are worried about battery failure in hot climates. If I was interested in buying, the FFE is the only one worth considering.
I don't remember if the FEV has thermal control. It definitely doesn't have heating, as many lessees are reporting up to 50% drop in reported range so far this season.

I do like the FEV, but... they're not around and dealerships are clueless. I think they're tired of ME hounding THEM to get a car. Oh, how the tables turn.
On the other hand, I'm planning on going to Ford after work to see what their best deal is. They have four FFE in stock. I drove one the other day, and I liked it, overall.

The thing that kept me away was the price. It always seemed way more expensive, and FFE isn't available for the X-Plan pricing. If I have time I'll see if I can degrees about that in a more appropriate thread.

In a poor attempt to bring this back to center - as a FEV waitlister (at least for now), I can say we're getting obsessive and twitchy. The forum is pretty much dead, except for little nagging things from those who actually have their cars. Some of us were actually tracking the car-ships from Japan to Portland/Richmond/San Diego. We actually had a guy who lives in Richmond take pictures of the cars at the port and count them before they were trucked off. He doesn't reply anymore either. I think we're all burned out.

Ford owners are the most balanced, probably value-conscience and technical based.

More likely to be suburban middle-management types than the others.

We're the ones driving the non-flashy vehicle ... in the Audi vs BMW thing, we're Audi of the EV world (I hope that makes sense).

I think Ford is nuts not to be pushing this car. It's really so good and almost nobody knows it exists. My daughter is back from college for the holiday, and she has fallen in love with the FFE. I can't get it back from her. We also have an Acura and a BMW, and she prefers the FFE.

People seem to buy

1. A Tesla, because it really is a great car
2. A Leaf, because they think it's the only electric car apart from a Tesla, or
3. A Volt, because they are nervous about range.

All the other EV's have remained minor players. I really think the FFE is second only to the Tesla, and for the price of a Tesla you could get three FFE's.

(Oh...that's a thought...get three FFEs and stage them along your route, switch them out pony express style!)

Tesla: nice car, but expensive and big (almost 2 feet longer than FFE, and wider).
Leaf: fairly good (would be better if had battery temp. regulation), available.
Ford: good, does maintain battery temp. OK, and is made in USA
(just not many of them, yet). My wife and I really like our FFE.

I bought A 2014 FFE on Sat. A big reason was the style, the ride, it has a lot of nice features, and I do like the myford sync that makes things easier and all. I wanted the leather seats, but they didn't have any anywhere close to me, at least not for a month or two, who knows. Another big reason was the $10.5K instant rebate on a 3 year lease. It was well worth it at that point. Instead of 35K, it was under 25K.

Now I just need to learn how to drive an EV.

As far as people, a Tesla is like those who drive any $100K car. It is a really nice car, but it's still a $100K car. They will get defensive if anybody claims otherwise. I'm on the list because I priced one out, test drove a couple and so on. And I've been a fan of their company since the roadster. Well after these fires, Tesla sends out an email and so on from Elon Musk. If you wrote it or not, who knows, but they are like a little clique of very wealthy individuals. And it's the 'in' cool thing. Somebody buying a Tesla would also be in the market for any other $150K car. Right now Tesla is the cool toy to drive. And it's a $100K+ car, not a $70K car like they market. If you ever price one out and test drive one, it's pointless to be buying what is a 'base' model for around $75k. The Tech package adds like 4K and so on. I tried to keep it as cheap as possible and it still came to like $89K. And that meant I'd miss out on a lot of nice features. You also have to realize they include the 7k credit and more in that price. Tesla likes to put BS marketing to the forefront when it comes to pricing. AKA save like $100/HR when not filling up gas.

Anyway, I'm in an area where I've probably seen about 100 teslas at grocery stores, malls, and so on. Most of the people I know who have Teslas are already pre-ordering the Model X. Most aren't about EV or giving a damn about the environment. Most are out to show off their new expensive toy. Which is great in a sense, but in an EV sense, it's not going to do anything to spark everyday normal buyers interested.

I honestly don't know anybody who has an FFE and I've rarely seen them around. I've seen a few Nissan Leafs and the quietness got me interested. I just didn't like the car. I saw some bmw i3 prototype once, but it was more some marketing event and I don't think anybody actually owned it. It looked interesting. I've seen a few Volts, I even saw one the other day when I was waiting for them to charge my FFE. A couple pulled in and were looking to trade in a year old Volt for an FFE. Funny.

You sparked a memory pjam3. I attended the Chicago area plug in day event (sort of a get together for people that own electric vehicles - it's fun, I'll do it again next year). There were a lot of Tesla owners at the event. I talked with most of them. Honestly, they were the most regular people I've ever run into. Not one of them had an attitude. Not one of them had on skipper uniforms claiming to be better than everybody else. And none of them were trying to impress anybody. Regular guys all of them.

The biggest deal, a good four or five of the owners let people drive their Teslas on the test track (the event was at this central test track for the car dealers - instead of driving a car around town, you drive over to the track). I don't know anybody that owns a $100,000 car that would let strangers jump in and drive their car. I take that back, they are better than regular guys, they're darn friendly and generous.

My reading on Tesla owners at the plug-in event I went to is the same as yours, EVA. Regular guys like you and me, totally enthusiastic about EVs in general and delighted to share their Teslas with others on ride and drives. They, along with the Leaf and Volt owners, were so infectious that I got caught up in the enthusiasm and ended up taking on someone who came to the to the event just to see a Focus Electric, and was so happy the the only one registered (mine) was there. She elected to ride, didn't want to drive.

I asked one of the Tesla owners how much his ride cost (I had limited understanding of how widely the price varied from el strippo version to fully loaded), and I think I said the S-word when he told me, then he said "yeah, I know, we had to make some sacrifices, but I really wanted this." He went on to say it's the last car he's going to buy.

All that being said, I suspect Tesla owners that take the time and effort to enjoy such gatherings may not be typical of all Tesla owners, just as the Volt and Leaf owners there (and even the Leaf sales rep at the event I went to) were probably not representative of their ilk. I think the mentality that you and I experienced at the plug-in day were those of EV enthusiasts and fanatics that just happen to own Teslas, therefore they fit the mold that we cast for ourselves far better than the mold we cast for them.

Does that make sense? It's close to 1:00am here, not sure if anything I write past midnight should be taken seriously...

V_Traveller - yes it makes sense. I agree. That's great you had a similar experience. There is a big group of us that love electric cars now that we've owned them.

My favorite auto journalist is the Pulitzer Prize winner, Dan Neil. He used to work for the LA Times and I truly enjoyed his reviews, especially when he reviewed a lousy car. He now works for the Wall Street Journal. In "Revenge of the Electric Car" he made a comment I often repeat: "I'll never own a gas car again." That is quite a comment coming from the world's best auto journalist.

Back