Building them in Germany now

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jmueller065 said:
Can't be in much of a "beta" state anymore if Ford is confident enough to start production in Europe.
Well there's production, and then there's *production*. I'm expecting this is simply a statement that Ford has made the (reportedly minor) changes to the production line, and is ready to produce the FFE. The unresolved question is, "At what pace?"

Again I'm expecting that this is likely the same (or less) pace than what we're seeing in the U.S. as I don't believe the EV demand in Europe is any greater than here. If anything, it's less. So, we're still talking about a very low rate initial production vehicle, hand built and walked down the line a few at time, made in small batches.

In other words, a beta test. I have no problem with that, as I want things to go well for Ford with this (slow and steady wins the race), but let's not kid ourselves about the success so far. With the FFE we're talking about a vehicle that sold as many units in a year as Honda moves Accords in one day.

Hopefully the European operation will start to change that and things will keep growing.

WP

WindPowered said:
Again I'm expecting that this is likely the same (or less) pace than what we're seeing in the U.S. as I don't believe the EV demand in Europe is any greater than here.

Well then the FFE will double its sales worldwide! LOL

Yes I suspect you are correct in that the FFE will get the same special treatment on the factory floor as it does in the US.

jmueller065 said:
Well then the FFE will double its sales worldwide! LOL

Yes I suspect you are correct in that the FFE will get the same special treatment on the factory floor as it does in the US.
I'm sure it will, until production ramps up to a volume more equivalent to regular ICE levels.

At the same time, Ford is poised to jump on this market if it takes off. Keep in mind that our U.S. Focus is initially a European design, so it'll certainly be liked there. And Ford is the #2 manufacturer in Europe, so they certainly know how to sell cars there.

All that's left is to have an EV charging infrastructure to eliminate range anxiety, which many European leaders are supporting, but that's a big, and costly piece remaining.

WP

Back