Daughter ran battery down to zero...now I KNOW the capacity!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

I brought the car home with only with maybe 20% or 25% charge left, but the GOM showed 38 miles since there's a lot of downhill near the end of my trip. I plugged in but set to charge at 5 AM.

Late in the evening my daughter took out the car, saw 38 mile range with the car plugged in and seemingly having been charging, so she set out on an 18 mile round-trip. Needless to say, she got home running on sparks, with zero range displayed, and is afraid of ever driving an EV again.

The good news is I now know I have 18.8 kWH available!

The big unknown to me is how long do these batteries actually keep their charge? I mean every battery out there that's re-chargable have the normal wear and tear and suddenly don't last as long. Look at cell phones. New phone might last you say 24 hours. After a year that phone will only last 20 hours or something. And so it goes with most devices. And if you're in some 3 year lease, how many people are going to replace a battery that no longer holds a full charge after a year and a half?

pjam3 said:
The big unknown to me is how long do these batteries actually keep their charge? I mean every battery out there that's re-chargable have the normal wear and tear and suddenly don't last as long. Look at cell phones. New phone might last you say 24 hours. After a year that phone will only last 20 hours or something. And so it goes with most devices. And if you're in some 3 year lease, how many people are going to replace a battery that no longer holds a full charge after a year and a half?
Not a big unknown: There are people on here who have had their cars for almost that long (1.5 years now) and haven't noticed any degradation in the battery.

This has interesting charts on battery life. Glad we have liquid cooled batteries. However, I seriously doubt we will be seeing 75% capacity at the 15 year mark!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1077329_how-long-will-your-electric-car-battery-last-it-depends-where-you-live

Hopefully Ford offers something like Nissan does to people who have purchased their FFEs. Other than that, Nissan and Ford charge roughly around $10k not including installation for new battery packs.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/20/nissan-leaf-battery-replacement-will-cost-100-month/

Even though I enjoy my FFE, and most of my driving these days is in the FFE, my second car is my 911 and I enjoy that as much as I do the FFE.

Back