DC Fast Charge problem

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasmin Rouleau

Hello !

I'm now having issues with the DC fast charge of my 2018 FFE... When the charging station initialize it just stop saying the car cancelled the recharge... the 4 leds on the charge port then blink. This started about 4 wks ago, tried many charging stations.

I get the following Pcodes from Forscan:

Code: P1A3C - Hybrid/EV Battery Charging Disabled - DC Charging Station PerformanceStatus (-2B):
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Module: Generic Function Module 2
Freeze Frame #1:
-EVENT_TIME: 202793376 s (Thu Aug 15 21:00:57 2024) - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 93714 km - Total Distance
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 12.3 V - Control Module Voltage
-OUTDOOR_TEMPERATURE: 21 °C - Outside temperature

And
Code: P0E68 - Battery Charger Control Circuit Range/PerformanceStatus (-2A):
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Module: Secondary OBD Control Module A
Freeze Frame #1:
-EVENT_TIME: 202793376 s (Thu Aug 15 21:00:57 2024) - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 93714 km - Total Distance
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 12.3 V - Control Module Voltage
-OUTDOOR_TEMPERATURE: 21 °C - Outside temperature
-SOBDM_BECM_PSR: PSR Off - SOBDM to BECM Wakeup Status
-PCM_SOBDM_PSR: PSR On - PCM to SOBDM Wakeup Status
-PWR_MODE_QF: Power Mode Undefined - Power Mode Quality Factor
-PWR_MODE_KEY: Key Out - Power Mode Key State
-INT_FAULT_CODE: 0 - Internal Fault Code

Looking at various data I've found that the values for:

Battery Charger Coupler Temperature "A" and Battery Charger Coupler Temperature "B" are weird, 90DegC for "A" and 24DegC for "B"

I struggle to get info from the Pcode, it seems that newer electric Ford vehicle have (had) issue with one of "my' pcode.

I don't find info about the coupler temperature sensors. Are the 2 sensors populated and used in the charging control? If so it could be my problem but I don't find any info about the charge port itself.

Thanks!

JR

Regarding that other code, P0E68, I could not find it in the service manual either. I do remember seeing some crazy temperatures for the SOBDM, but I did not think they were legitimate. The temperature seemed stupidly high for the given situation.

There are PTC thermistors in the charge port to monitor for overheating. Sounds like one is reading within a few degrees of ambient and the other is reading 90C. Not sure what the cutoff temp is but would not be surprised if 90C is enough to trigger it.

Since it's a positive temperature coefficient, it's possible a broken lead could be read as full scale. Thankfully it's something you can check for yourself with a multimeter on the wiring harness plug that connects to the DC charging junction box.

Back