General

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emil

I just leased a 2013 focus ev a week ago. Two times now when I have started up the ev, it wouldn't move in drive, low, or reverse. I had to turn it off and restart again. When I did the restart, I then could get the ev to move in any of the drives. Has anyone else experienced this? And if you have, what is the solution? I don't want my wife stuck anywhere because it wouldn't move.

First of all, did you read the owner's manual? ;) Secondly, when these cases occurred, are you absolutely sure you had successfully put the car into "Ready To Drive" mode? (The green dash light that shows a car with arrows under it.)

It is actually pretty easy in the FFE to prevent the RTD light from coming on. For example, if you aren't properly pressing the brake when you press the START button, the light won't come on. If you shift out of Park too soon, the light won't come on. Anyway, this has happened to all of us, and usually because we aren't following the correct startup procedure.

Here is what I recommend for your FFE startup procedure:

1. Make sure car is in Park and the brake is pressed.
2. Wait a beat.
3. Press the START button.
4. Wait for the RTD light to come on.
5. Shift into gear.

It is very easy to prevent the RTD light by trying to move too quickly from step 1 through to step 3 (which I why I inserted step 2) and then step 3 through step 5. Let the brake to "settle" slightly before pressing START. And definitely wait for the RTD light before attempting to shift.

Anyway, once I had internalized the proper procedure, the "no-RTD-light" scenario rarely happens to me anymore. And, when it does, I am usually pretty darn sure it is simply because I went too fast. It is no longer a mystery to me.

Thanks for your really quick response. I will do everything you suggest and hope that solves the problem.

I have done this all the time. I don't look at the dash and I just throw it in reverse and no go. Yep I have to wait a few seconds and then hit the button after pressing the brake.

It happens to me all the time. I'm usually took quick and put the car in drive or reverse and get nothing.
You just have to wait a few seconds until the green ok to drive light comes up on the dash.
I'm 90% sure that's what's happening.

The suggestions by WattsUp are very relevant. I recommend that to every new car owner who is confused about what to do and what not. I myself was amazed by some of things I read and wasn't aware about it in the first place. martial arts school

Back