HID bulb replacement?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl4vik

I've noticed the stock electric HID's are much more yellow than my stock s2k bulbs. I'm thinking of swapping them out for 6000k, can anyone please provide the bulb size for low beam HID on the Focus electric? My internet search for it has somehow failed.. Also anyone know how easy/hard to replace the bulbs? Plug in play or do I have take off the entire front?

Thanks!

Page 134 of the manual lists D8S as the "Headlamp low beam (HID)" bulb type. The manual also says this:

The low beam headlamps on your vehicle use a "high intensity discharge" (HID) source. These lamps operate at a high voltage. When the bulb is burned out, the bulb and starter capsule assembly must be replaced by your authorized dealer.

That said, the headlamp assemblies are easily removed by unscrewing two bolts (which are easily accessed from the tops of the assemblies by simply opening the hood) and then detaching the wiring harnesses. From the back of the assembly itself, it looks like it is also easy to access any of the bulbs.

Do you know were the flasher relay is located for the turn signals? The reason I wish to replace the relay is so that I can install LED bulbs.

Apparently, there isn't one. As with a lot of other modern Ford vehicles, turn signal flashing is controlled by the GEM (General Electronics Module), which does many things. You can't just replace a little single-purpose "flasher" unit in the FFE, unfortunately. (I replaced the flasher in my Honda Accord accord after its LED retrofit... works great when you can do it.)

But, I'm in the same boat as you retrofitting my FFE with LEDs. Strangely, LEDs in the brake lamps aren't triggering any sort "bulb out" warnings. (I used Triton V3 units from v-leds.com... highly recommended, they look like normal bulbs are in there when off.) But, as you've probably discovered, putting LEDs in the turn signals will cause "hyper-blinking".

I think the only option is using "load-equalizing" resistors. (There are lots on ebay for cheap.) Btw, I have discovered that the FFE requires resistors "on all four corners" (assuming your are replacing the turn signal bulbs both front and back).

Back