Keeping the electric bill low

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwebb

Once the FFE is charged full is it ok to leave it plugged in or is their some electric drain that may increase my electric bill.

At work I charge on a 120 for free. No 240 is available. I don't need to because of range. One way is 23 miles but saves some money by charging it full again before I head home.

When I get home I immediately plug in my 240. My electric rates are no different after midnight. It's still unclear to me if the thermal battery management turns on with a 120?

I've recently found that I can download my electricity usage from my provider by the hour (more details in a blog post here:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/12/19/electricity-consumption-for-november/ )

From what I can see: When plugged in and not charging the power consumption by the car is negligible. By far the heaviest usage is charging on a Level 2 charger followed closely by preconditioning to 85F when the temp outside is in the 20s (this alone can easily consume 5kWh of electricity). Outside those two items I see that the TMS can use up to 1kWh per hour keeping the battery warm in cold temps (again in the 20s). This isn't a constant 1kWh though (it will use 1kWh for one hour and then nothing the next hour followed by 0.75 kWh etc.).

I believe if the car isn't wanting any power, the supply will disconnect. My leviton charger clearly shows when it is supplying power to the car. Usually, when not charging or preheating, it is off. If I open a door, the Leviton relay will click on and supply power to the car. I wouldn't know if there were other minor power requests during the night besides charging, but my Edison account doesn't show anything significant.

Back