Suspected Battery Failure

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonZX12R

Let me preface this by saying that I live on an island and my only ford dealer here is terrible.

I have a 2017 ford focus electric that recently started significantly acting up. Basically 100->90% charge is normal then it goes from 90%->0 in like 5 miles. Charging on 110 charges the entire thing up in like an hour or two from 0. Seems to be a battery failure to me. Ford dealer says its the charging port fault and has to replace the entire wiring harness, being to the tune of 5k$ and its not covered under warranty.

Anyone have any suggestions? It took them like a month to come to this conclusion and I am thinking they just dont understand how to deal with EV's correctly. I would imagine the charging port would be covered under the extended ford EV warranty.

That sounds like a bad cell. Full and empty are dictated by any one cell going past a threshold. If one starts to die, it can drop sharply and trigger that even if every other cell is working fine.

Forscan should be able to read out voltages of each cell. Check it charged and discharged to compare. If that's what it is, the only real option is to find some loose cells/modules, drop the pack and swap them.

Back