Where did my range go?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas6850

Hi Everyone, I recently noticed that my full charge is getting me only about 55 miles. This is a rather dramatic change considering when I first got the car (a couple months ago), it was reading about 73 miles on a full charge. It just just recently gotten cold where I live (MD), and I understand that is a factor, but that seems like a steep drop. I have been remote starting it and putting the heat on for my kids. The issue is that with those factors involved, when I start my commute, I've only got 10 or less miles of cushion to get to work and it makes me nervous. I have a 32 mile commute each way.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Use Go Times as much as possible. Try setting them to heat the car to 85 F before you leave. Use the heated seats. Try looking for a more efficient route or driving more efficiently. Use the Nav system to program in your round trip and then you can see the surplus of miles on the dash. You can turn the Nav spoken directions off so that it will just work in the background without shouting at you.

Yup in the worst cold the range can drop to as low as 50. Use the heat less--or not at all. Bring blankets for the kids. Use the "go" times to preheat the car when plugged in (or even remote start it when plugged in) and seat heat.

I've found the "crack a window" method works quite well (use go time to 85F then simply crack the drivers window by as little as 1/8" to keep the windows clear of fog. Worked well for me this morning when it was only 14F out.). Not sure how well cracking a window will do when there are more than one person in the car.

Even in Hawaii we have cold areas. We get snow on two of our islands :) Sometimes even Oahu hails. But where I live we have no need for a heater.

What about using a battery powered pre heater like this?

http://www.hammacher.com/product/79918

jas6850 said:
It just just recently gotten cold where I live (MD), and I understand that is a factor, but that seems like a steep drop. I have been remote starting it and putting the heat on for my kids.
Are you plugged in when remote starting? If not, then heating will use energy from the battery and decrease your range dramatically (depending on how long you run the heater). The heater uses a lot of energy.

Related, as someone else mentioned, consider using a Go Time (also while plugged in) in order to heat the cabin at a specified time.

Thanks for all the responses guys. This "Go Time" that keeps getting referenced. Is this something that I sent up in the car itself or from a smartphone app?

You program the go times from the website:
https://www.myfordmobile.com/content/mfm/app/site/login.html

If you haven't setup your car yet on the website or the mobile app you should: It increases the usability of the car a lot! (Click on the small link at the bottom right "register here" if you haven't already.)

Olagon said:
That is exactly what the Go Times do..no need for any extra stuff in the car.

jmueller065 said:
Olagon said:
That is exactly what the Go Times do..no need for any extra stuff in the car.

Wouldn't a battery powered heater let you heat while you drive keeping the car warmer without using the traction battery?

Olagon said:
Wouldn't a battery powered heater let you heat while you drive keeping the car warmer without using the traction battery?
Go Times work when the car is plugged in and don't use the traction battery (as far as I know the car will skip a go time if it isn't plugged in--have to try that).

jas6850 said:
Is this something that I sent up in the car itself or from a smartphone app?
Either.

You can set Go Times using the MFM app (iPhone or Android), the MFM website, or the "Settings" screen in the car that you reach by pressing the "Leaf" button at the bottom of the main MFT display.

Have you installed the app and/or explored the website or MFT displays? It's kinda hard to not run across the Go Time settings.

Also, coverage of Go Time configuration starts on page 321 of the 2014 Owner's Manual, and the feature is referenced throughout in other sections.

You should always read your owner's manual cover to cover. :) Otherwise, you'll never know about all the things you car can do (any car).

Thanks WattsUp, I had been using the app on my smartphone but hadn't come across the go times. I logged in to the full web site and found it and set it up. This should easy my range anxiety a bit. Thanks again

jas6850 said:
Thanks WattsUp, I had been using the app on my smartphone but hadn't come across the go times.
Sure.

In the MFM app, the "My Go Times" page lives in the "Charge Settings" menu. You can view and/or edit Go Times there.

That said, for viewing/editing Go Times, the MFM website (from a computer) is probably your best bet in terms of ease of use.

jmueller065 said:
Olagon said:
Go Times work when the car is plugged in and don't use the traction battery (as far as I know the car will skip a go time if it isn't plugged in--have to try that).
Go Times do nothing if the car is unplugged. If it is unplugged and you want to heat it before driving you must use remote start.

hybridbear said:
Go Times do nothing if the car is unplugged. If it is unplugged and you want to heat it before driving you must use remote start.
This is one of the things I really like about the i3. With only one L2 EVSE, I can precondition the i3 without it being plugged in, while plugging in the FFE. It solved our potential problem of having to remember to remote start the FFE every morning.

Back