Yay, my first yellow wrench... oh wait

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

Okay, so after putting about 3300 trouble-free miles on my 2013 FFE, I got a yellow wrench after cruising (for about 5 minutes) down the freeway at 65 mph. Immediately prior, I had been driving around on surface streets for an hour or so, with a couple stops.

After the wrench (which was slightly alarming as it apparently cancels cruise control) I drove straight home (not wanting to risk being stuck if I stopped). It was only a few miles. When I got home, I turned off the car, waited 30 seconds, and turned it back on. The wrench was gone and everything seemed normal.

I then took another short drive (including a little freeway) with one stop, and everything was fine.

Well... today I took a mostly-freeway, full-range drive totaling about 75 miles, at speeds of 60-65. Arrived home with 3 miles left. No yellow wrench.

So, yellow wrench just strikes at random?

Run a diagnostics report. Also, when it comes on the code will be stored (no matter if it disappears) in the computer. You can have a dealer read the code to see what it was (and if you have anything to worry about).

Sometimes when the gas caps are left off it causes this to happen (KIDDING) :))

Are you talking about "Vehicle Health Report"?

Also, when you say "stored in the computer", are you talking about the car's computer, or my computer (at home).

The car computer (aka OBD-II - On-Board Diagnostic System). Yes, the "diagnostics report" - I don't think it will tell you anything, but it is worth a shot for just a key-press.

So... ran the report. It worked... though took several minutes to show up on the site even after I received an email telling me that the report was available.

The important section "Engine, Transmission, & Emissions" is green and says "OK". So, tells me nothing about the yellow wrench, as you predicted.

Strangely, the "Brakes & Suspension" section is gray. It doesn't say "OK", but also doesn't seem to indicate any problem. When I click it, it expands to just a generic description of what brakes are. Is this normal in an FFE report?

Arg. I got another yellow wrench today.

Again, it happened while cruising on the freeway after about 5 minutes of driving. This time, it seemed to occur right as I requested the cruise control speed up one notch (though that may have just been a coincidence). Cruise was canceled (and could not be turned on again) and the car started to slow down, but otherwise would drive normally via the accelerator.

I immediately ran a Vehicle Health Report (which you can ask SYNC to do even while driving!), but it just showed everything green and "OK".

Back