Can I get my FFE to tell me when it's not plugged in?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganraeln

First thing - I absolutely am LOVING my FFE.

Question: how do I get this car to tell me when it's not plugged in? Seems like there are a ton of different notification types available, yet none of them will message me when I forget to plug in at night. Having an ADD mind doesn't help; thank goodness for my wife reminding me!

It's not like the engineers can't have the car detect when it's at "home", or at any other pre-saved location; immobile and turned off, and within a certain time frame (say, 6 pm - 8 am). If all of those conditions are true, send the notification!

Any thoughts folks, or am I just plain out of luck?

Go to My Ford Mobile and login.
Go to My Account then Notification Settings, and then select "plug in reminder".
I don't think it is perfect, but give it a try. I think it will text you you arrive at a site that you've identified as a charge location. Even if your value charge time is set for mid-night and you park at 6pm, you will get a reminder. Not so bad. Just be sure to check messages and/or test before going to bed.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

davideos said:
Go to My Account then Notification Settings, and then select "plug in reminder".
I don't think it is perfect, but give it a try. I think it will text you you arrive at a site that you've identified as a charge location.
I thought the plug-in reminder notification was the "it's hot outside" or "it's cold outside" notifications? But, I don't use GO times, so I don't know how that notification option might interact with scheduled charging.

That said, I do have that notification enabled, but I've never received a notification about having simply parked at one of my known charging location and happened to not plug in (which occurs frequently, especially parking at work, when there isn't always a charger available).

I could be wrong, or it could be one of the other ones; however, this is the text that I get:
"My EV is scheduled to begin charging soon and needs to be plugged in"

In e-mail form, it looks like:
"Hello Davideos,
My EV is scheduled to start charging in -2 minutes at 01/07/2014 01:45 AM, but it is not currently plugged in.
Please plug My EV in so the charge can start successfully.
Thank you"
The time is likely GMT since that's the message I got today when I arrived at work. At home, it will say...
"...is scheduled to start charging in 319 minutes at 01/06/2014 04:00 PM, but it is not currently plugged in..."

You get the message shortly after arriving at the destination if you don't plug in. I think that is what you would want. If in doubt about which notification it is, Here are the ones that I have set up for both e-mail and text:
Charge Fault
Plug-in reminder
Alarm sounding
Temperature Alert
Severe Temperature Alert
Warning light on
Low 12-volt battery
Low tire pressure

"Plug-in reminder" is the only one that would make any sense for this notification. Since it knows the time to start charging, it is likely tied to the charging profiles. In addition, since work is a "charge now" profile and the time shows '-2' minutes, it would stand to reason that it gives you 2 minutes to plug the car in before giving you your notification.

Good luck trying it out. It seems to be working for me just fine.

Odd, "plug-in reminder" is precisely what I was trying to use.

That said, I don't have any scheduled charge times set up, because I don't get any rate breaks in my area at night (I'm in Cincinnati).

I'll try it again and see how it works out.

Edit:

I have had this option turned on for a month now, and I never get any notifications to plug in.

I have "go" times set up for each weekday morning at 8 am, but have no charge profile set as I already stated above.

Ganraeln said:
Odd, "plug-in reminder" is precisely what I was trying to use.

That said, I don't have any scheduled charge times set up, because I don't get any rate breaks in my area at night (I'm in Cincinnati).

I'll try it again and see how it works out.

Edit:

I have had this option turned on for a month now, and I never get any notifications to plug in.

I have "go" times set up for each weekday morning at 8 am, but have no charge profile set as I already stated above.

I believe you need to create a charge profile for it to work. An easy way to do this is to "navigate" to your charge location...likely your home. When it asks if you will charge at this location, indicate "yes". After you have parked, go to your computer and log into MyFordMobile and after you log in click on "veiw all" under the "value charge profiles". This will take you to a screen to set up your charge locations. I've set mine up as value charge eventhough at work, it is always set to "charge now". However, you might try just adding your home as a charge location and nothing more. I would think this would work; so click on "my charge locations" and you should see your home listed as a charge location. Click on that and give it a name. Now, when the car thinks you are at that location, it should send you the reminder. If it doesn't, try setting up the value profile and then set it to "charge now". Be sure your value profile shows the same cost across all times else you might get some odd results.

Hope that works.

Hey folks,

Just wanted to let you know that setting a charge profile did the trick.

Many thanks! You saved me alot of future grief :)

Back