FFE versus the Mitsubishi iMiev - First Impressions

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olagon

With just a few days with my FFE and coming from a 2012 iMiev, here are my first impressions.

Pros
- Feels sturdy and safer.
- The entertainment center seems better than our 2014 Outlander console. I can even see the song names when I stream from bluetooth.
- The range is slightly better.
- Love the real time feedback like the brake coach and all of the data it collects.
- The apps looks really good (hope I can get mine to work soon).
- The 6.6kw charger is going to give us faster home charging options.
- I can actually get accessories at decent prices like all weather car mats.

Cons
- Seats are really uncomfortable. Hope my body adjusts. Both my wife and I don't like how we feel after sitting in these.
- Some shoddy quality. Like our leather seats are not pulled tight and a bit loose in places. Need to take in to dealer this week for what looks like black oil coming out the rear of the car.
- No aggressive brake regen mode. Just Drive and Low. I like having more control.
- Trunk or lack of a trunk.
- The Miev has way more space inside and sits taller on the road.

So far happy we switched! But the Miev is not a bad electric car too.

Olagon said:
Cons
- Seats are really uncomfortable. Hope my body adjusts. Both my wife and I don't like how we feel after sitting in these.
I remember I thought the seats made me feel "weird" when I first got the car. But now, I think they are quite comfortable. I guess I just eventually adjusted, and wasn't used to whatever difference there was between the FFE and my previous car.

Olagon said:
Cons
- Some shoddy quality. Like our leather seats are not pulled tight and a bit loose in places. Need to take in to dealer this week for what looks like black oil coming out the rear of the car.
- No aggressive brake regen mode. Just Drive and Low. I like having more control.
Interesting - I find the seats amazingly comfortable - especially compared to our i3. Our FFE doesn't seem to have any quality issues, car is pretty solid - again, better than our i3. Brake regen comes when depressing the brake pedal so it behaves more like an ICE - although I agree, I much prefer the one pedal driving of the i3. Also, loose the shelf organizer and the spacers in the well and you'll find you have a ton more room in the trunk.

I too the first few days of owning my 2014 FFE felt the seats were a bit uncomfortable particularly in the lumbar area.
But I guess I got used to it after a week or two because now after a month they feel fine.
I even bought a small lumbar pillow to use in the car and now I don't need it!

NightHawk said:
I too the first few days of owning my 2014 FFE felt the seats were a bit uncomfortable particularly in the lumbar area.
In my case, I remember they made the sides of my legs feel strange. Can't really describe the feeling... kinda like I was "tense" in that area after sitting in the seats for a while. Now, I feel very comfortable driving for long periods (well, for as "long" as you can drive in the FFE). :)

I had to try a lot of different seat adjustments the first week or so, height, etc.
My knees kept banging or dragging against under the steering wheel or turning the headlight knob when I turned to get out.
I think I got it all adjust all right now.

I drove a 2012 ICE Focus for 18 months before the FFE. Seats didn't feel that bad LOL.
(Even took a trip in the ICE Focus for about 2000 miles..didn't have any issues at all.)

At first, I felt some discomfort too, kinda like a "lump" in the seat... but then I realized that I was just sitting on the big wad of cash I saved not buying gasoline. :D

NightHawk said:
I had to try a lot of different seat adjustments the first week or so, height, etc.
My knees kept banging or dragging against under the steering wheel or turning the headlight knob when I turned to get out.
I think I got it all adjust all right now.
I occasionally bang my knee on the headlight knob. But that's the problem with being in a small car. I'm 6'3 and about 225 lbs and I wish Ford made a larger EV because the Focus is too small. I wonder how the iMiEV would compare. The Focus isn't uncomfortable once I get in, but getting in and out is less comfortable than the Fusion because the Focus is so much smaller. And I feel sorry for ppl who have to sit in the back seat behind me because they have almost no leg room.

hybridbear said:
I'm 6'3 and about 225 lbs and I wish Ford made a larger EV because the Focus is too small. I wonder how the iMiEV would compare.

My guess is that you would feel more comfortable in the Miev. The FFE dash and entertainment areas take up so much space.

Getting used to the FFE seats. It's encouraging to see our experience with the uncomfy seats are common but that folks end up getting used to it.

Olagon said:
hybridbear said:
I'm 6'3 and about 225 lbs and I wish Ford made a larger EV because the Focus is too small. I wonder how the iMiEV would compare.

My guess is that you would feel more comfortable in the Miev. The FFE dash and entertainment areas take up so much space.

Getting used to the FFE seats. It's encouraging to see our experience with the uncomfy seats are common but that folks end up getting used to it.
Our local EV owners group has one member with an iMiEV who's a regular at the meetings. I'll have to ask if I can sit in his car at the next meeting to check it out.

hybridbear said:
I occasionally bang my knee on the headlight knob. But that's the problem with being in a small car. I'm 6'3 and about 225 lbs and I wish Ford made a larger EV because the Focus is too small. I wonder how the iMiEV would compare. The Focus isn't uncomfortable once I get in, but getting in and out is less comfortable than the Fusion because the Focus is so much smaller. And I feel sorry for ppl who have to sit in the back seat behind me because they have almost no leg room.
Yep I'm 6'2" too.
Fortunately I only use the back seats for cargo space so I can adjust the driver seat way back but not too far so its still easy to reach the pedals, so I only go back as far to keep my knees from hitting anything in front. I find the height adjustment also can move you forward a bit, I'm using about 3 steps above the lowest level, much higher and my head may hit the ceiling.
I wish they would make an Electric SUV for plenty of cargo space, like a Ford Escape Electric.

NightHawk said:
I wish they would make an Electric SUV for plenty of cargo space, like a Ford Escape Electric.
I agree!! I hope the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV makes it to the US soon because I think that would be the perfect next car for my parents to replace their 10 year old Nissan Murano.

Olagon said:
Cons
- The Miev has way more space inside and sits taller on the road.

I'm surprised to hear the iMiev has more space inside/ sits more comfortably/ has a larger trunk. I've only seen one iMiev and never sat in one but it sure looks tiny! The iMiev's published passenger space measurements and cargo volume are all smaller than the Focus'- less headroom, less legroom, less shoulder room, and 13 vs 14.5 cu ft in the trunk. Of course the actual layout is more important than the measurements. The Focus battery hump certainly limits the trunk's utility with larger boxy items (but it's great for keeping grocery sacks in place); I can see how the bulk of the dash could complicate comfort with longer legs. Lucky for me, I'm well south of 6' tall and I find the front seats to be comfy for a guy my size. Anyway I'd think that the Focus beats iMiev in cargo space with rear seats folded. Have you figured out how to flip up the rear seat bottoms and remove headrests before folding down the seat backs? That should give you a nice space to work with.

I have also been a bit disappointed with some aspects of the Focus interior. I don't see any loose areas in my leather, but the quality/durability is just not there compared to my last car. The door-side of seat on which my butt slides and pivots entering and exiting is more worn after 2 years than my last car's was after 10. And the leather doesn't extend around the sides of the seat, where the spandexy fabric substitute is surprisingly absorbent. The passenger carpeting kind of drapes over the hump and up the sides rather than being taut and snug to the corners, like it's not tacked down correctly. The glossy black instrument trim shows off scratches, and the matte black dash top shows off dust. On the other hand, I really like the headrests, steering wheel, and the clean layout and feel of the physical buttons and levers.

Ford does make a lot of Focuses. I wonder if some of the quality issues you're seeing with the interior is simply due to the vast quantity produced (I'm sure assembling the inside of the FFE is identical to an ICE one--except the dashboard).
(Not that this is an excuse for Ford, simply an observation.)

dmen said:
I'm surprised to hear the iMiev has more space inside/ sits more comfortably/ has a larger trunk. I've only seen one iMiev and never sat in one but it sure looks tiny! The iMiev's published passenger space measurements and cargo volume are all smaller than the Focus'- less headroom, less legroom, less shoulder room, and 13 vs 14.5 cu ft in the trunk. Of course the actual layout is more important than the measurements.

The Miev is a four seater so more room per passenger. The seats are also much thinner and the console much cleaner and smaller so it feels more roomy. I'm 6 feet and in the Miev my legs don't bump into things when I am driving. In the FFE my legs get bumped against the sides a little. With the backseats down, the Miev is the space champ. I once put three wood pallettes into the back! This thread shows some of the things folks have pilled into this little "microvan" http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1428&start=10.

Sold my Miev so moving ahead with the FFE...though I'm hopeful Mitsubishi will be selling a really compelling Outlander PHEV in the U.S. next year. Every single EV option aside from Tesla is just too small for active families with young kids IMHO.

Olagon said:
dmen said:
I'm surprised to hear the iMiev has more space inside/ sits more comfortably/ has a larger trunk. I've only seen one iMiev and never sat in one but it sure looks tiny! The iMiev's published passenger space measurements and cargo volume are all smaller than the Focus'- less headroom, less legroom, less shoulder room, and 13 vs 14.5 cu ft in the trunk. Of course the actual layout is more important than the measurements.

The Miev is a four seater so more room per passenger. The seats are also much thinner and the console much cleaner and smaller so it feels more roomy. I'm 6 feet and in the Miev my legs don't bump into things when I am driving. In the FFE my legs get bumped against the sides a little. With the backseats down, the Miev is the space champ. I once put three wood pallettes into the back! This thread shows some of the things folks have pilled into this little "microvan" http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1428&start=10.

Sold my Miev so moving ahead with the FFE...though I'm hopeful Mitsubishi will be selling a really compelling Outlander PHEV in the U.S. next year. Every single EV option aside from Tesla is just too small for active families with young kids IMHO.
I didn't realize that it was only a four-seater like the Volt.

I also am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Outlander PHEV. My parents need to replace their aging Nissan Murano and need a larger & higher vehicle for comfort as they get older so they want an SUV. The C-Max is ok for around town but they find it to be too cramped for long distance driving. They've taken ~60 mile drives in it and say that it is uncomfortable to be in for an hour of driving. An Outlander PHEV could be a great option for them.

Push the steering wheel all the way into the dash. If you pull it out, you will hit your knee on the bottom of the steering column as you make your way out.

Back