My experience with an overpriced EV Charger installation

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker9

I hope this is the right section to share this...So I recently got a quote from an industrial electrical company for the purchase and installation of a Ford charging station. The total cost they gave me was $2,200, but they only mentioned it was a Leviton charger without specifying which model. From what I know, the official Ford Connected Charge Station typically costs around $1,300, so they’re charging $900 just for the installation.

That seems pretty steep to me. I was expecting installation costs to be more reasonable, something closer to $500. It just feels like they’re overcharging for a fairly straightforward installation, especially since most home charging setups aren't overly complex. I might need to shop around for other quotes or even explore doing parts of the install myself to keep costs down, or what do y'all suggest?

Honestly, I've seen $2000 quotes to install $500-$800 EVSEs. Are they pulling a new circuit? Short of using an existing receptacle, there's labor and often permits involved to do it correctly. Might be a good idea to ask on the MachE or lightning forums if that's a current EVSE model.

I think that's too high. The installation is not that complex. Ask for other quotes. I am sure you will find a better deal or a more detailed breakdown of the installation costs.

How far is the charger from your fuse box? You can get a charger for $400 (you DON'T need the official Ford charger). I had a spare 240v fuse in my box, and I did the install myself.

Back