Jumped forward while in reverse "System Failure" Stop Safely

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmvalera

My Ford Focus EV suddenly jumped forward while in reverse then displayed the error message "System Failure" and "Stop Safely Now". The car nearly slammed into a fence post and went through our flower garden.

The vehicle is now at the dealership for review.

I've called the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 to report the problem. The agent I spoke to on the phone was surprised to hear that there have also been other problems with the electronic system regarding the navigation system, the buttons on the steering wheel, charging, differences in the odometer reading on the website vs console and alike. I described 16 unique problems with the car I have observed.

The representative also suggested reaching out to the State Consumer Protection Agency and describing the failures. They should be aware of the issues with the vehicle.

If you have had problems with the car, I encourage you to file a complaint with the NHTSA - for any problem. They need to know what's going on. It's clear Ford is not taking ownership of these problems.

I live next to an elementary school and could have easily run over a kid if this were during the day.

This was originally posted onto the myfordmobile.com forum, but since that's going away I'm posting it here too to encourange anyone and everyone who has had probelms with their Ford EV to raise awareness and contact the NHTSA of the failures with these vehicles.

- Jm

jmvalera said:
differences in the odometer reading on the website vs console and alike.
I've always found the actual odometer reading reported via the website (in the "Vehicle Info" section of the main page) to match the car. However, all the "personal mileage" readings in the "My Driving" section are notoriously off (usually way too high). But, those personalized numbers (based on your key fob usage) aren't supposed to be strictly equal to the odometer reading. (They shouldn't be as inaccurate as they are, but they can't be expected to match the car's mileage exactly.)

So, are you saying that the odometer reading reported in the "Vehicle Info" section on the website is incorrect? Or, are you just noting (like many others have) that the numbers reported in the "My Driving" tab seem to be laughably inaccurate?

WattsUp said:
jmvalera said:
differences in the odometer reading on the website vs console and alike.
I've always found the actual odometer reading reported via the website (in the "Vehicle Info" section of the main page) to match the car. However, all the "personal mileage" readings in the "My Driver" section are notoriously off (usually way too high). But, those personalized numbers (based on your key fob usage) aren't supposed to be strictly equal to the odometer reading. (They shouldn't be as inaccurate as they are, but they can't be expected to match the car's mileage exactly.)

So, are you saying that the odometer reading reported in the "Vehicle Info" section on the website is incorrect? Or, are you just noting (like many others have) that the numbers reported in the "My Driving" tab seem to be laughably inaccurate?

I described all the problems I have observed doing my best not to make any excuses for Ford. It's their job to figure out if it's useful or not. It's best that they have all the information they can get about the product failures in this vehicle.

I get that you had a problem with the car that was not pleasant. The NHTSA needs to know about that. Sorry to hear that the car did something crazy and caused some damage.

But the website having problems? That really has absolutely nothing to do with safety (remember the people you were talking to work for an organization called the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration). The myfordmobile website is a nice to have, it isn't critical to running the car. The fact that there are some number of mismatches between the car and the website seems like wasting the NHTSA's time. There is nothing on that website that can't be recreated manually on the car, and hothing that has to do with safety of running that car. I would get it if the car car suddenly jumped into drive from the website. But an odometer mismatch? Who really cares?

Ford Customer care should take the website seriously. I complained directly to them about the problems I saw. It took them forever to responsd, but they finally called me. Some day they might fix the problems I identified. But I'm not reporting those things to the NHSTA to put pressure on Ford to fix these nice to haves. I'm also not holding my breath that they will fix them.

Ford can't fix problems they don't know about. You do realize the NHTSA will not forward those problems to Ford unless there is a threshold of complaints - and one isn't the threshold.

And, by the way, the car odometer and the mileage on the website do not match. They never did for two cars. It's fine with me, I find most of the information on that website entertainment anyway.

jmvalera said:
The car nearly slammed into a fence post and went through our flower garden.- Jm
Not to be a pain, but I noticed this posting on the MFM forum and asked whether the brake was applied at any time during this event. I haven't seen the response, but I do notice that you used the word "nearly" to describe the event. So does this mean that it almost slammed into a fence post and almost went through a flower patch? I then assume that the car was stopped and none of this occurred, but could have.

I do agree with the others in that it just confuses matters to complain to the NHTSA about irrelevant issues. The NHTSA will just place your complaint into a separate bin if it doesn't fit into one of their pigeonholes. Adding issues just confounds the bureaucrats. While every operator expresses deep sympathy with your situation, the only things that matters to these people are numbers.

When following up with either the NHTSA or Ford, try not to dump all of your problems on them at once. Pick this one important issue and stick with it.

unplugged said:
jmvalera said:
The car nearly slammed into a fence post and went through our flower garden.- Jm
Not to be a pain, but I noticed this posting on the MFM forum and asked whether the brake was applied at any time during this event. I haven't seen the response, but I do notice that you used the word "nearly" to describe the event. So does this mean that it almost slammed into a fence post and almost went through a flower patch? I then assume that the car was stopped and none of this occurred, but could have.

No worries. Been busy this weekend working around the house. Just now got back on the laptop. The break was not applied since it was in reverse and was about to go into reverse. When it jumped forward, it nearly ran into the fence and did in fact run through the flower garden before flashing "System Failure" and "Stop Safely Now".

unplugged said:
jmvalera said:
I do agree with the others in that it just confuses matters to complain to the NHTSA about irrelevant issues. The NHTSA will just place your complaint into a separate bin if it doesn't fit into one of their pigeonholes. Adding issues just confounds the bureaucrats. While every operator expresses deep sympathy with your situation, the only things that matters to these people are numbers.

When following up with either the NHTSA or Ford, try not to dump all of your problems on them at once. Pick this one important issue and stick with it.

The agent asked for all the problems I'm having with the vehicle which is why I brought them up. As an engineer, I believe this is the proper behavior and she was right to ask. To describe a problem with a system, it is beneficial to know the state of the entire system. Failure to describe an observed problem may cause a delay in discovering the root cause.

It's a bit like going to the doctor and complaining about a chest cold and neglecting to mention that you've had trouble sleeping. Are they related? Probably not. In this case, the chest cold and trouble sleeping are both symptoms of a condition of which I'm unable to identify.

Regardless, my point stands -- if you are having issues with the vehicle, let the NHTSA or your State's Consumer Protection Agency know of the product failures.

Cheers!

- Jm

jmvalera said:
Regardless, my point stands -- if you are having issues with the vehicle, let the NHTSA or your State's Consumer Protection Agency know of the product failures.
I think unplugged's point was: There's no use in reporting clearly unrelated problems along with the "main" problem. (I'm exaggerating here) but it's like taking your ICE into the shop because the engine keeps stalling (you don't know why) and also informing the mechanic about some trouble you've also noticed with the passenger door latch, but only on Tuesdays. Granted, you were asked about "any" problems and responded as you saw fit, but IMO it is extremely unlikely that a glitch on the MFM website could have anything to do with SSN behavior, or even any behavior of the car's traction system. Hopefully, the report-taker was able to sort through the information and report it effectively.

As an engineer (which I am too; software), you must know that problem reports that come "clouded" with multiple issues tend to not be taken as seriously as those which clearly and concisely smack one obvious issue in your face. Personally, I highly appreciate customers (while even in the midst of their annoyance) are able to provide that level of clarity. As much as FFE owners are able to do this with any report to Ford, NHTSA, or other agency, it believe it will only help the problem be resolved more quickly.

WattsUp said:
jmvalera said:
I think unplugged's point was: There's no use in reporting clearly unrelated problems along with the "main" problem. (I'm exaggerating here) but it's like taking your ICE into the shop because the engine keeps stalling (you don't know why) and also informing the mechanic about some trouble you've also noticed with the passenger door latch, but only on Tuesdays. Granted, you were asked about "any" problems and responded as you saw fit, but IMO it is extremely unlikely that a glitch on the MFM website could have anything to do with SSN behavior, or even any behavior of the car's traction system. Hopefully, the report-taker was able to sort through the information and report it effectively.

As an engineer (which I am too; software), you must know that problem reports that come "clouded" with multiple issues tend to not be taken as seriously as those which clearly and concisely smack one obvious issue in your face. Personally, I highly appreciate customers (while even in the midst of their annoyance) are able to provide that level of clarity. As much as FFE owners are able to do this with any report to Ford, NHTSB, or other agency, it believe it will only help the problem be resolved more quickly.

If the tables were turned, you would lie when asked if there were any other problems?

jmvalera said:
If the tables were turned, you would lie when asked if there were any other problems?
Not if it considered it akin to mentioning the door latch when trying to report an engine stall problem. But, I wouldn't exactly consider that "lying". Yes, it would be selective editing... but from an educated consumer attempting to present a concise problem description.

In any case, I'm sure the information you provided was put to good use.

jmvalera said:
Not to belabor the point, because what is done, is done, but when asked about problems with the car, I just suggested you keep it short and sweet, and to the safety point. I only suggested this because you don't want your FFE to be put into the wrong bureaucratic bin. If you end up in the "Miscellaneous" bin, then your issue won't be recognized. Perhaps we can just hope that the guy who noted your call will be smart enough to put it in the "SSN" bin. (Although I think the "sudden acceleration" bin will be empty for some time.)

We just should all be aware that the NHTSA does categorize complaints and they act accordingly.

Back