Leaf vs FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WattsUp said:
unplugged said:
Actually, the Tesla "vampire" loss is well-documented. Tesla has managed to reduce the vampire loss in the Model S to about 1 kWh each night
What is the 1 kWh going to? Battery temperature control? Running the computer?

The 'vampire' was very real, and still is a minor annoyance, with the Model S. It used to be 3-5kWh used per 24 period, temperature dependent. It is now as far as I can tell is sub 1kWh per 24 hours. Parking at the airport now I only lose a handful of miles.

This was last March before 'sleep' mode. I measured my car parked at the airport for 8.5 days. And I lost about 28kWh of charge (in about ideal temps to maintain charge)!. Before Tesla had all the computers stay up and running all the time, which was a good amount of power draw. The Model S will also circulate coolant when the car is 'off' to help stabilize battery temps. And it is rumored that it will turn on the AC compressor, or heating elements to keep the battery within some extreme temperature bands while off.

I'm aware of the Vampire loss, but I'm referring to a noticeable drop within a few hours of charging. Sort of like the rapid decrease in battery % we we see in the FFE in the first mile of driving.

michael said:
I'm aware of the Vampire loss, but I'm referring to a noticeable drop within a few hours of charging. Sort of like the rapid decrease in battery % we we see in the FFE in the first mile of driving.

The Model S takes into account battery temperature into it's calculations on battery capacity. I believe the 2 miles I lose within ~4 hours of completing a charge is due to battery temperature drop, and not an actual loss in capacity. (I could be wrong). The other assumption is that the battery doesn't charge to quite the same level due to elevated temperatures and the drop of range is due to this slightly less charge.

But if you charge with a 120VAC plug you don't get the drop whereas if you charge at 240VAC and 40A you do.

But starting the day with 228 miles versus 230 miles on a daily 90% charge is really not a big deal.

Back