P0D80 - Battery Charger Input Circuit / Open

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anti_Climax

Just picked up a 2014 for my wife to use and after getting home late that night I plugged it in to charge and went to bed. Coming out the next morning to check the range, it had not charged at all. Replugged the L2 and got multiple clicks from the EVSE but got a wrench on the display. ForScan returned P0D80 as the code. It was the same L2 that worked on my 2012, so not likely to the the EVSE, but tried the travel cord as well with the same result.

The service manual has you disconnect the port harness from the main harness and disconnect the main harness from the input on the SOBDM, then check resistances to make sure wires aren't shorting internally or broken. Since I didn't want to dealing with jacking it up if I didn't have to, I started by checking continuity between the port pins and the connector under the hood. In my case one of the AC pins was reading open - which is fixed by replacing the entire port and harness.

Seeing as I'd need to pull it out anyway, I jacked it up and removed the wheel well liner to have a look for damage. Was intact but the sections of the harness that the service guide showed a foam bumpered inline fuses were missing their foam, exposing serviceable fuse cases. Why the manual would not even suggest checking or replacing these is beyond me. Popped them open and found two 0HEV050.SXBD2Y axial blade fuses. One practically fell out of the holder and showed obvious signs of arcing and the fuse plug showed clear heat damage.

Since the fuse was not actually blown, I put dielectric grease on all the contacts, put a little crimp on the bad blade and installed it facing the other way to take the pitting away from the same contact point. Reassembled it all and was able to charge normally after that. Which is good because it seems that plug and harness is discontinued... It's going to get replaced the next time I can get to the junk yard and scavenge a C-Max, or I'll try to find a new holder socket. Might even remove the stock fuse holder and just put in something totally different.

I'll add some pictures to this post later. Here's hoping this gets indexed and helps other folks actually repair their vehicles instead of just throwing harnesses at them.

Back