Sudden power loss

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Doc 80+

My 2014 Ford Focus EV (less than 90 days old, 2025 miles) stopped running a few seconds after a "Stop safely now" message appeared. This occurred twice. I was able to drive it about 3 miles to the dealership with no repeat of the problem. The vehicle has been in the shop for 4 days but there is no explanation, including from the Ford factory engineers. The problem did not occur in their test drive. This is said to involve an "interlock circuit" but has not been localized.
Has anyone had this experience? It has occurred to 7 or 8 other vehicles according to an internet report.

At one point in the past, there was a problem with false alarms of the stop safely now (SSN) message. A software update about six months ago seems to have solved the problem. So the first thing to do is see if the software update was applied to your particular car. If not, then have the dealer apply it and there's a good chance you won't see this message again.

However, if it's been applied, then there's a good chance it was caused by an actual fault...not a false alarm. It needs to be tracked down and corrected.

I suspect the internet report you are referencing relates to problems with the earlier software and false alarms.

Sorry for your "loss".
I had a similar situation about 2 months ago but was able to restart it. Finally, about 2.5 weeks ago, it would not restart. Both occurrences have been logged on the NHTSA. Since it was towed into the dealer with the error still reporting, I was hoping that they could pull out the exact reason for the failure, but they said there was nothing there for them to read. Fortunately it was in a mode where it wouldn't run, so there was nothing more they could do than to continue to diagnose it with Ford. I've now had a rental car paid by the dealer for 18 days with another 2 weeks before they receive the replacement battery they said it needed. We'll see if that fixes it.

It disappoints me that there is a problem here; but what disappoints me more is that this "stop safely now" message can occur but they don't log what causes the problem.

Back