Trouble Getting OBD2 HUD to Work on My 2003 Focus

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RheaMNWK

Has anyone tried installing an OBD2 HUD? I got my 2003 Ford Focus SE wagon a few months ago and wanted to add one of those HUDs (heads-up display) that shows RPM and speedometer readings (my gauge cluster doesn’t have RPM). I got one as a Christmas gift, but every time I try to use it, it gives me an error saying my 2003 doesn’t support OBD2 readers.

We returned it and got a new one that’s supposed to work with 2003 models and newer, but still no luck. Has anyone else managed to get one of these HUDs to work on an older Focus, or does anyone know what’s going on here?

Has anyone tried installing an OBD2 HUD? I got my 2003 Ford Focus SE wagon a few months ago and wanted to add one of those HUDs (heads-up display) that shows RPM and speedometer readings (my gauge cluster doesn’t have RPM). I got one as a Christmas gift, but every time I try to use it, it gives me an error saying my 2003 doesn’t support OBD2 readers.

We returned it and got a new one that’s supposed to work with 2003 models and newer, but still no luck. Has anyone else managed to get one of these HUDs to work on an older Focus, or does anyone know what’s going on here?
You're not likely to get much feedback for this as they aren't really useful for Electric vehicles like ours - and the oldest one we'd be dealing with would be 2012.

That said, OBD-II compliance is legally required for gasoline vehicles from 1996 onward. So if you're getting that error, it's the device itself or it's connection.

Back