60A Juice Box???

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick01psd

Does anyone have that 60A Juice box?? Im looking for a cheap quick charger for the garage.. And yes i have 60A service.. thanks!!! :D

nick01psd said:
Does anyone have that 60A Juice box?? Im looking for a cheap quick charger for the garage.. And yes i have 60A service.. thanks!!! :D
I assume you know that 60A is total overkill for the FFE? (The FFE will only ever draw just shy of 28A.) But, perhaps you're future-proofing your EVSE installation?

WattsUp said:
nick01psd said:
I assume you know that 60A is total overkill for the FFE? (The FFE will only ever draw just shy of 28A.) But, perhaps you're future-proofing your EVSE installation?

Huh, i did not know that...im new to this thing and just looking for some ideas for a cheap charger. The Juice Box looks like a good price, didnt know if anyone actually owns one.... Well knowing it only draws 28A's is good to know!!

nick01psd said:
WattsUp said:
I assume you know that 60A is total overkill for the FFE?
Huh, i did not know that...im new to this thing and just looking for some ideas for a cheap charger.
I'm not saying that the Juicebox or any 60A EVSE isn't worth it... it may, in fact, be worthwhile to future-proof your EVSE installation if you plan to get another EV in the near future that could take advantage of the higher power.

But, the 6.6 kW charger on-board the FFE will only draw a maximum of 27.5 amps, and will not be able to take advantage of any extra power.

6600 watts / 240 volts = 27.5 amps

WattsUp said:
nick01psd said:
WattsUp said:
I assume you know that 60A is total overkill for the FFE?
Huh, i did not know that...im new to this thing and just looking for some ideas for a cheap charger.
I'm not saying that the Juicebox or any 60A EVSE isn't worth it... it may, in fact, be worthwhile to future-proof your EVSE installation if you plan to get another EV in the near future that could take advantage of the higher power.

But, the 6.6 kW charger on-board the FFE will only draw a maximum of 27.5 amps, and will not be able to take advantage of any extra power.

6600 watts / 240 volts = 27.5 amps[/quote

Does anyone make a 30A charger thats cheaper than the Juice Box?? I dont wanna spend a ton of $... im just leasing this thing...

nick01psd said:
I assume you know that 60A is total overkill for the FFE?[/quote

Does anyone make a 30A charger thats cheaper than the Juice Box?? I dont wanna spend a ton of $... im just leasing this thing...
[/quote][/quote]

Clipper creek HCS-40 $590 or less. 240v 30amps.
Juice box with all cables installed and assembled $438. No mention of warranty that I could see.
The service delivers 7.2kw and the focus uses 6.6kw of that service. The rest is lost in the conversion.
H

Lithium said:
The service delivers 7.2kw and the focus uses 6.6kw of that service. The rest is lost in the conversion.
H
The EVSE can supply up to 7.2 kW. But, if 6.6 kW is all that is used (as is the case with the FFE) then, well, that is all that is used. The other 0.6 kW of capacity is not "lost" -- it is simply never used.

I installed a 70A EVSE for the reason of future proofing. Also, friends with Tesla's or RAV4 EV's (not that there are any in PA) could use the faster charge rate.

sefs said:
I installed a 70A EVSE for the reason of future proofing.
Wow! You've got some serious electricity at the ready there. Looks like you're powering a machine shop. How many Amps is each outlet?

When I installed the unit for our Energi, I was thinking that maybe I should install a heavier unit just in case we got an FFE sometime in the future. At that moment, I didn't realize that "sometime" would be in only two months. Now, instead of installing a unit that my existing wiring would support and that adequately served the car I had just bought, I wish I had gone ahead and rewired, spent a few more dollars, and installed the heavier unit for the next car. Good for you for thinking ahead.

The Clippercreek CS-90 on the left is a 70A EVSE on a 90 amp breaker, however, I wired it with 1 AWG wire so I could swap it out with a Tesla HPWC and 100 amp breaker in the future. The middle outlet is just a 20 amp 120V branch circuit I added for extra outlets in the garage. The right outlet is a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker with 6 AWG wire for backup or guest charging. All copper wire. I installed the safety disconnects just in case something goes wrong I can shut off the power in a hurry.

nick01psd said:
Yes. It has done a great job since purchased in October. I have a Level 2, 32amp GE wall charger for my garage and use the Juicebox for travel. The nice thing is not only the Juicebox is future-proof (but you have to get the cable to up your amperage beyond 32 amps), the Juicebox also automatically reduces voltage to 15 amp 120V for standard outlets. This has allowed me to go from The Getty Museum parking structure that uses 120V to my folks' 240 volts using the same equipment.

Back