Looking for very specific battery information

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyp

Hey guys, new member here. I'm trying to hunt down very specific battery information on the FFE. I was wondering if any one on this forum is a Ford parts/service person who might be able to cross check some numbers for me.

Specifically, what I'm looking for is any information on the physical size and shape of the HVB used in the Focus to see how it compares to the HVB used in the Cmax energi (same chassis as focus). Also, is the battery section visible in the trunk the only battery in the FFE or is there another unit that is tied to larger bulk in the back?

Thanks in advance.
M

The FFE has two battery packs: One above the rear axle (the one you see in the trunk) and the other under the axle where the gas tank would be on an ICE Focus.

Just comparing the two cars I'd think the C-Max Energie's batteries are packaged differently. Open the trunk in the C-Max and you'll see the battery as a large flat rectangle where the packs in the FFE are taller and shorter (front to back).

They're not even remotely similar. You can go to www.fordparts.com and look each of them up and they have a nice blow-up diagram and picture of each. What, specifically, were you looking to compare?

I wonder if he was thinking to put the larger Focus battery into the C-Max to give it longer EV only range..

If he could find an FFE battery at a junk yard it would be pretty inexpensive compared to the $20k listed on fordparts.com.

jmueller065 said:
I wonder if he was thinking to put the larger Focus battery into the C-Max to give it longer EV only range..

If he could find an FFE battery at a junk yard it would be pretty inexpensive compared to the $20k listed on fordparts.com.

Exactly this. I've located a wrecked FFE and I'm wondering if one of the battery packs contains more kWh of storage than what I currently have in my Energi. I didn't think about the FFE using an extra battery in place of the fuel tank. It would be interesting to see if the trunk pack has a larger capacity than mine though.

The pack I located is only $1400 but it's too expensive of a trial if I have to heavily modify anything.

Just FYI, I loved my Cmax Energi so much that I bought a second Cmax hybrid for the wife. Right now my average mpg's are about 440 and my wife is in the 52.6mpg range.

The packs are split (unevenly) so the top (smaller) pack probably has only slightly more energy in it than your Energi. The voltages will be different as well. I think the technical challenges would be overwhelming for a one-off project. The only way I could see it work is if you used the Energi battery electronics and just replaced the cells in the battery pack with the larger ones from the Focus--and that would obviously require a significant physical reconfiguration.

If you don't go forward, do you mind telling where you located a salvage yard willing to remove and sell the battery?

Back