Would you sell my Focus Electric and buy this car?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocktoon

I have a 2017 Ford Focus Electric with 60,000 miles on it. I still get around 100 miles per full charge. In spite of having constant air conditioning problems during our Texas summers, I love the vehicle and have had no other problems with it. It has been paid off four about 3 months. The battery is still under warranty for another year, and CarMax is offering me $8,000.

Would I be smart to sell it before that warranty runs out and purchase another vehicle?

I'm looking at a 2017 Chevy Bolt. There are no open recalls, so I'm assuming the battery has been fixed or replaced, which should give it at least twice the range of my Focus. It does have more miles on it (close to 100,000).

It's going for $11,000. It's eligible for the $4000 EV tax credit. That plus the added $8000 from the sale of my Focus would put me a little head, dollars-wise.

Thoughts?

I checked. The Bolt's battery was replaced under recall in 2021, so the warranty on that is extended until 2029 or another 85,000 miles.

Seems like a no brainer - go for the Bolt. Well that's assuming you like the Bolt. If the numbers are correct - you really will get $4,000 off the $11,000 purchase price (that's not a gimme - verify 5 times to be sure), it does make financial sense. Guess check the tires - if they are worn out on the Bolt (very likely), you'd be about break even on the trade. Nothing to say on the sale side - CarMax quotes are rock solid, you'll get exactly the money they quote.

The advantage, you get a lot more range with the Bolt. It's more current technology. Chevy sold a lot more of them than Ford did of the Focus. And, if I'm not mistaken, people don't have trouble finding service for the Bolt. Where service is getting harder and harder to find for the Focus.

And maybe check the Bolt forums for anything that might bite you with the 2017 model.

Thank you. My quote was actually from Carvana, but I think that the same confidence applies.

The only downside I can find is that the Bolt doesn’t support DC Fast charging. I have used that on occasion with my Focus, but that’s because the range is so much lower and it was convenient. I don’t use my Focus for road trips and I wouldn’t do that with the Bolt either.

Back